Skip header

Ending your tenancy

Thinking of ending your tenancy with us? - Get in touch

Before you make a decision: 

  • Is there anything we can do to resolve any issues you're having or to help you feel happier in your home?
  • Or perhaps we can help you to find a different home? 

Either way, please get in touch. We'll do what we can to help.

If you do decide to end your tenancy, we'll try to make it as smooth and as simple as possible.

Contact us: 


  1. Give four weeks' notice
  2. What happens after your contact us
  3. Property inspection
  4. Before you move out 
  5. Joint tenancies 
  6. Bereavement
  7. Transferring your tenancy to another home 
  8. Handing in your keys

Give four weeks' notice

To end your tenancy, you must give us at least 4 weeks' notice in writing. Your tenancy must end on a Monday.

What happens after you contact us

When you tell us that you would like to end your tenancy, we will arrange for an Allocations Officer to work with you.

The Allocations Officer will:

  • guide you through the process of ending your tenancy
  • carry out an inspection of your property
  • advise you of your responsibilities

Property inspection

Before the inspection, make sure: 

  • you have reported any repairs to us - report a repair
  • your home is clean and tidy 

During the inspection, the Allocations Officer will: 

  • inspect your property - this may identify work that needs to be done before you leave, giving you time to do so before you move out to avoid any charges
  • help you to complete the paperwork needed to end your tenancy
  • answer any questions you may have

If you don't allow us to carry out an inspection, or if you aren't home when we attend a pre-arranged visit, you may miss out on valuable information that could help you avoid any charges after your tenancy ends.

Before you move out

Make sure your home is in a good condition:

  • Leave your home clean and tidy 
  • Repair any damage to your home before you move out - otherwise, you will be responsible for the cost of any repairs needed

Remove all possessions before returning the keys, including: 

  • furniture, rubbish, floor coverings (including items in gardens, sheds and lofts) - anything left behind will be disposed of, and you will need to pay a clearance charge
  • animals - you will be charged for any costs incurred for the care of any animal left behind, and we may need to report the neglect or abandonment of an animal to the relevant authorities
  • furniture pack - if you have a furniture pack in your home, contact Your Homes Newcastle to arrange for it to be collected before you leave, if you don't you may be charged for missing or damaged items (furniture packs cannot be transferred from one property to another, and must be returned when you move)
  • decking, sheds, greenhouses, other structures or alterations may need removing - speak with your Allocations Officer to make sure you know what is required, and follow their advice

Arrange to pay for any outstanding charges. Once your tenancy has ended, you will still be responsible for any outstanding rent and other payments (such as those for rechargeable repairs).

You must not allow any person to stay in your home after your tenancy ends. If anyone living with you doesn't have alternative living arrangements in place, they should contact our Housing Solutions Service as soon as possible for advice and assistance.

Joint tenancies

A joint tenancy will end when any of the joint tenants gives us four weeks' notice that they would like the end the tenancy.

If one of the tenants wishes to continue living in the property, they should contact us as soon as possible to discuss the possibility of being granted a sole tenancy.


If you are ending a tenancy on behalf of a tenant who has passed away, an appointment will be made with an Allocations Officer to discuss this.

We are here to support you through this process, and we try to make it as simple as possible.

It is important to know that Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of Universal Credit will stop immediately, so we respectfully advise that you end the tenancy and return the keys for the property as soon as you reasonably can.

Transferring your tenancy to another home

If you are transferring to another South Tyneside Homes property, we will inspect your home to make sure it is clean, tidy, undamaged and in good decorative order before the move can be approved.

If your home is found not to meet our required Lettable Standard, any offer of accommodation may be withdrawn. You may be given 48 hours to address any issues if it is reasonable to do so.

An Allocations Officer will discuss and agree with you the moving date to your new home at the accompanied viewing of the property you will be moving to.

Handing in your keys

It is very important that all keys, including for post boxes and communal entrances, are returned on or before the Monday on which your tenancy ends.

Return keys to either:

  • Housing Solutions Service, Unit 3, Middlefields Industrial Estate, Heddon Way, South Shields, NE34 0NT (open 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30am to 4.30pm on Fridays)
  • your Housing Plus Officer

When you hand in your keys, we will give you a receipt. Please keep this for your records.

If any keys are not accounted for, you could be charged. 

If you cannot travel to us or you need advice about your housing situation, contact our Housing Solutions Service.