Skip header


If you're moving into a new home or have had Decent Homes work carried out, we will sometimes give you a payment to help you with the cost of decorating your home.

We do not issue cash or cheques as payment. Instead, we will give you a B&Q Decorating Card. You can use this in any B&Q store to buy decorating materials.

The card can be used to buy the following items only:

  • interior paints
  • wood care and varnishes
  • wallpaper and pastes
  • decorating utensils (non powered)
  • sandpaper
  • fillers and sealant

When will I get my card?

New tenants - you will be given your B&Q Decorating Card when you sign-up at your local housing office.

Existing tenants - when we have completed Decent Homes work in your home, your Tenant Liaison Officer will visit you to complete your satisfaction survey. You will get your card during this visit.

How much will I get?

Your payment will be based on a maximum payment of £25 per room, up to a maximum payment of £200 per home.

If you choose to have your kitchen or bathroom decorated as part of your Decent Homes work, we will reduce your payment accordingly.

If you have rent arrears of more than £500, we will credit your rent account with the value of your payment. If we do this we will let you know.

Using your card

You can use your card in any B&Q store within 24-48 hours of receiving it.

You can spend as much or as little as you want on the card, and you will have 2 years to spend your allowance.

Whenever you use your card, you will get a receipt which will show you the remaining balance on your card.

You can also check your balance online by visiting or by calling 0845 600 3762.

Lost/stolen cards

If your card is lost or stolen we can cancel it with just a quick phone call to B&Q. We will then give you a new card. The balance on the replacement card will be the same as that on the original card before it was cancelled.