Skip header

Domestic violence

  1. Report domestic abuse 
  2. What is domestic abuse?
  3. What should I do if I am affected?
  4. How we can support you
  5. Clare's Law
  6. Information and advice

Report domestic abuse

Domestic abuse or violence is a crime and should be reported to the police.

Call 999 if it's an emergency or if you're in immediate danger.

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic violence and abuse is any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are or have been intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality. Domestic abuse can affect men, women and children and can affect anyone. There are many forms of domestic abuse, none of which are acceptable in any circumstance:

  • coercive control (a pattern of intimidation, degradation, isolation and control with the use or threat of physical or sexual violence)
  • psychological and / or emotional abuse
  • physical or sexual abuse
  • financial abuse
  • harassment and stalking
  • online or digital abuse

What should I do if I am affected?

If you are suffering from domestic abuse and live in the South Tyneside area (South Shields, Jarrow, Hebburn, Boldon and Whitburn), there are a range of services who can help. Below is some information to help you decide the best course of action for you:

  • Always phone 999 and ask for the police if you are in immediate danger.
  • Ask for ANI at a local pharmacy - ANI stands for Action Needed Immediately. This codeword is a discreet way to ask for emergency help from the safety of your local pharmacy. Visit the government website for more about Ask for ANI.
  • If you suspect someone you know is suffering emotional or physical domestic abuse you can call 0800 066 5555 for independent and confidential advice.
  • Options (Impact Family Services) provides confidential and non-judgemental support to women over 16, on domestic abuse issues, in a safe place and can be contacted on (0191) 456 7577.
  • Places for People (South Tyneside Women's Aid) Women's Refuge offers advice and support as well as providing safe, temporary and emergency accommodation, and can be contacted on (0191) 454 8257.
  • National Domestic Violence Helpline is a 24 hour service who can provide advice and support over the telephone 24 hours a day and can be contacted on 0808 2000 247.

How we can support you

If you are a resident of South Tyneside and are experiencing domestic violence or domestic abuse, South Tyneside Homes can help.

Our dedicated Housing Options Officers can speak with you in confidence about what is happening to you and any previous incidents without your abuser being around. We can speak with you over the phone, arrange an office appointment or see you in a safe environment.

We will discuss your housing options; including staying safe within your current home, options around moving home and linking you with other support services that can help.

If you need emergency housing, advice about rehousing or advice about staying safe within your current home, contact the Housing Solutions Service on 0300 123 6633. Interpreters are available when needed.

Clare's Law

The Home Office has introduced a scheme allowing police to disclose to individuals details of their partners' abusive pasts.

Clare's Law, also known as the Domestic Violence Disclosure Scheme (DVDS) aims to ensure that more people can make informed decisions about their relationship and escape if necessary.

For more information, or to make a request for information, visit the Northumbria Police website.

Information and advice

  • South Tyneside Homes Housing Solutions Team - 0300 123 66 33
  • Emergency Out of Hours accommodation - 0191 4562093
  • South Tyneside Women's Aid - 0191 454 8257
  • Victim Support - 0191 477 8395

For more information on domestic abuse, including a list of services that can offer you support and advice visit South Tyneside Council: Domestic violence and abuse.