Independent living (Housing Plus)
The Housing Plus Service brings you options for independent living.
We offer a range of modern, safe and friendly apartments and bungalows across South Tyneside.
Living in a Housing Plus home is enjoyable, social and supportive. You can enjoy the privacy of your own home and also spend time with others.
If you want a self contained apartment or bungalow with its own front door then look no further than Housing Plus.
We can offer you a range of services to help you to continue to live independently. Many of our services can be personalised to your individual needs.
Housing Plus services include:
- Help to apply for a Housing Plus home
- Your own personal support plan
- Advice and help to access other supported services
- A Housing Plus Officer who can provide advice, support and daily contact
Apply for a Housing Plus home
Housing Plus accommodation is usually offered to those who are:
- over 55 years and in receipt of Personal Independence Payment (PIP), or
- over 60 years
Housing Plus accommodation will normally only be awarded to those in need of the services provided.
You do not need to be an existing South Tyneside Homes tenant to apply for a Housing Plus home.
To search for Housing Plus homes, visit South Tyneside Homes.
If you are interested in a Housing Plus home
If you are interested in taking the first steps towards living in a Housing Plus home, please contact us to find out more.
Visit the Housing advice and support and ask about Housing Plus.
Call us on: 0300 123 6633
Housing Plus homes
We have a range of studio, one and two bed apartments and bungalows available to let.
Many Housing Plus homes have recently been refurbished to a high standard.
All our properties benefit from the following:
- emergency alarm system
- level access shower or bath
- safe by design front doors
- private kitchen and bathroom
In addition to your own home, we also provide a range of shared services for our residents.
These facilities are for everyone to use and enjoy and may include:
- shared kitchen
- shared laundry
- shared lounge with television
- multi-function room with hairdressing facilities
- scooter store
Every Housing Plus home is linked to a 24 hour warden call service via an emergency pull cord system.
If you need emergency help you can pull this cord and someone from South Tyneside Council's Telecare and Community Alarm Service will respond.
This service also provides other equipment to support your independent living, including:
- smoke detectors
- flood detectors
- fall detectors
- medication reminders
Help to find a Housing Plus home
We know that it is sometimes daunting when you are thinking of moving.
We are here to provide you with a one stop service.
We can support you with everything from finding out information to filling in the forms.
Our friendly team will take you through every step. Don't hesitate to pick up the phone and find out how we can help.
We have a number of vacancies in our Housing Plus schemes.
If you would like to discuss your housing needs and find a suitable home, please contact Housing Plus on 0300 123 6633.
How the Housing Plus Team can support you
The Housing Plus Team is a group of dedicated and experienced individuals who provide excellent and modern services, including:
- Daily contact by intercom or personal visits to make sure that you are well
- Personal contact with you at least once a week
- Keeping up to date support plans and records of your care
- Administering first aid and / or contact your next of kin, doctor or ambulance in an emergency
- Advice on how to use the laundry equipment
- Advice and help when completing forms
- Requesting other services, equipment and / or adaptations on your behalf
- Reporting repairs and dealing with emergency situations
- Booking the guest room and keep it clean and tidy
- Helping to organise social functions, outings and fundraising activities
Living in a Housing Plus home means there is always support available for you should you need it.
We promote health and wellbeing and developing a sense of community amongst all our Housing Plus tenants.
We regularly arrange social activities and events in our Housing Plus schemes.
Activities vary from computer sessions and luncheon clubs to day trips to places of interest.
We also work in partnership with other organisations including Age Concern Tyneside South and South Tyneside Council for Voluntary Service.
Ask your Housing Plus Officer to find out what is going on in your scheme.
Get involved with Housing Plus
We encourage you to be involved in how we provide our Housing Plus services.
We welcome individuals or groups of residents to help us make changes to the services we provide.
We invite everyone to meetings and encourage you to get involved in how we make decisions.
We also invite tenants to help us plan social activities and we can also support you in organising your own events.
There are lots of ways you can get involved in how we plan Housing Plus services including:
- Tenant meetings
- Consultation events
- You can contact us anytime to tell us your ideas