Temporary accommodation

If you are homeless, we may provide you with temporary accommodation, depending on your circumstances.

Paying for temporary accommodation

Temporary accommodation is not free. You will be expected to pay for the type of temporary accommodation we provide.

We do understand that people may have challenging circumstances and face financial difficulties. If you have problems with debt, welfare benefits or paying rent and charges within temporary accommodation, we can help.

Our Welfare Support Service can help you in securing the right entitlement to benefits, help you work with any debtors and look at budgeting to help you manage your income.

If you are experiencing financial problems contact the Welfare Support Service on 0300 123 6633.

Our opening hours are:

  • 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday
  • 8.30am to 4.30pm Friday

Please note: Failure to pay your rent and charges may lead to court action and the interim duty that the Council has to you.

If you need help, please contact us.  

Paying rent direct from your Universal Credit

If you get Universal Credit and are having difficulties paying your rent, you may be able to pay your rent directly from your benefit.

For advice on this method of payment, call the Income Team on 0300 123 6633. 

Our opening hours are:

  • 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday
  • 8.30am to 4.30pm Friday

If you are unsure about how much you need to pay, you can view your rent account online

You can also pay your rent online. Find out more about how to pay your rent

Struggling to pay your rent in temporary accommodation

If you are struggling to pay your rent, you may be able to apply for benefits such as Universal Credit.

For more information and advice see support and benefits

For help and advice with benefits contact the Welfare Support Service.

How long you will be in temporary accommodation for

If our investigations show that we have a housing duty towards you, you may need to stay in temporary accommodation until we can find you permanent housing.

We seek to provide temporary accommodation within our Borough or as close to the Borough as possible.

If we're able to offer you a permanent home, it may be a:

  • South Tyneside Homes property
  • Housing association property
  • A tenancy in the private sector

Furniture and goods

You will not be able to take all of your belongings into temporary accommodation as the properties are fully furnished to the regulatory fire standard.

Furniture that has not been PAT tested or fails to meet the terms of the same fire safety standards can risk the safety of you and others in your household.


It's not possible to take pets into temporary accommodation (except guide dogs).

You should arrange for your pets to be temporarily looked after by friends or family.

Any household found to have taken pets in to the temporary accommodation will be asked to leave as this will be a breach of the licence conditions.

Contact information

You can find contact information in the paperwork you were given when you signed up for the accommodation.

If you can't find this, call one of the numbers below to speak to the customer contact centre:

  • 0300 123 66 33 (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6.30pm)
  • 0300 123 66 33 (Out of office hours) (urgent repairs)